Recent twitter entries...

MEDICAL STUDENT'S DISEASE

If you are a medical student and you have a fear a having a disease and you develop a tendency to believe that you are suffering from that disease you are learning in a medical school then you are suffering from MEDICAL STUDENT'S DISEASE or HYPOCHONDRIASIS.
it is psychological disorder frequently reported in a medical student. this is generally associated with fear of  having a disease in question.While Medical students are learning medicine they read lists of symptoms for different diseases daily. Although they are completely healthy, they feel that they are suffering from the symptoms of specific diseases and they have it.
Some authors suggested that the condition must be referred to as nosophobia rather than "hypochondriasis", because the quoted studies show a very low percentage of hypochondriacal character of the condition, and hence the term "hypochondriasis" would have ominous therapeutic and prognostic indications. The reference suggests that the condition is associated with immediate preoccupation with the symptoms in question, leading the student to become unduly aware of various casual psychological and physiological dysfunctions; cases show little correlation with the severity of psychopathology, but rather with accidental factors related to learning and experience
mentioned two studies, one concluding that about 70% of medical students have groundless medical fears during their studies, and one which found that 78.8% of a randomly chosen sample of medical students showed a history of "medical student disease."
MY EXPERIENCE WITH MSS
1.while studying haemotology- i was feeling weak fatique loss of appitite..... i thought i had anemias.
2.acute headach i thought i had a migraine- during neuro lectures..
3.shortness of breath, less vital capacity i thought i had an emphysema
and countless many other...... almost every single disease i study....
share yours.......


Anonymous said...
lol. i am one of them. now i'm studying CNS module and when i have headache i starts to think about all those increase intracranial pressure symptoms. haha..
Anonymous said...
I am in the last year of med school. I don't usually think that i am sick but when someone of my close relatives and friends comes to me with a symptom i always think of the worst. Once my dad had the flu and his voice was kinda hoarse and i was thinking of lung cancer that could affect the laryngeal

Anonymous said...
i'm a medical student
5th year
i have a bad mood and depression
what's the solution?

I'm a 4th yr medical student,,, and I always feel that every single disease I read about or see in hospitals will affect me :s I dunno y I started feeling that the future is soo dark after I started my medical schooooool ,,, ewww that really sucks
 
Khaled Selim said...
of course I used to think that way too
but not to the limit that push me going to clinic or doing labs !!!
Anonymous said...
i had it even before when i was a med student
 
Anonymous said...
6th and last year of medicine... Luckily never had it...:)

Anonymous said...
in the 2rd year of my medical study
after helminiths lesson. i thought i had enterobius vermicularis and i applied for diagnosis.

Anonymous said...
m a 3rd
Anonymous said...
medical student sometime hane psycosomatic illnes syndrome

Anonymous said...
actually i dont compare with myself rather with my friends....hehe

CrisBD said...
specially noticeable in the psyquiatric classes

Anonymous said...
OMG I'm lerning neurology now... that's a real nightmare :/

Anonymous said...
yeh its tru every medical pass tru this but usually interpret it a tru disosder therefore evey medical personnel shld be psychiayrically stable otherwiz it creats so many serious problm.

Anonymous said...
fuck medicine
Anonymous said...
me to when i was medical student....
since 3 yrs ago,when i finished medicine,i threw away those bad sensations...i am freeee....:)))

Comments (0)

Post a Comment